Advertise Here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: homemade target?

Default homemade target?

Do I need to bay target they sell at the store or does someone have some nice solution for a homemade target?
    Last edited by Norwegandeerhunter; 09-20-2009 at 07:50 PM.

the first is made from an old carpet, the second from cardboard refrigerator bases as well as from regular cardboard boxes...foam mats used for playrooms stacked in the same manner can be used...

I mean there are many many different materials that can be used to make a target, the important thing is to really compress them...I think if made from foam floor mats or cardboard the target would have to be around 1.5ft deep...thou I can see faster bows might penetrate beyond that so lets make it 2 feet deep for safety sake. Suspending your target in mid air with the use of string will also help in reducing the arrows penetrating power.
    Last edited by Ivo; 09-20-2009 at 11:27 PM.
    All Genius - is Simple.
    - Paradox.

All Genius - is Simple.
    - Paradox.

Default homemade

Copperhead said he took a sack like a grain sack I suppose and filled it full of old shirts and it worked. I havent tried but that would be about as inexpensive as they come. Hunter2

I had one like that too. The problem with it was that the it ruined aluminum bolts(bent them) for carbons it's alright, but not alumin.

I assume that the bolts got bent because of the varying density of the target forcing the arrow to take a path of least resistance and therefore bending it.
    All Genius - is Simple.
    - Paradox.

For field points only. Stuff a burlap bag with plastic sheeting like busquine. I use to get light plastic from clean linnon carts at the hospital that I worked at. I would make up 3 or 4 bags a day and sell them out front of my house. This was 15 years ago. Now they sell them everywhere.

This is great.. carpet!! Until now the only way I could use a bolt a second time was to fire from above and then dig it outta the soil Ok gonna get me some carpet.

Well I went to the skips outside of the carpet wholesalers and they just had random junk in. I called a builder friend who said he doesn't know of any recent jobs where carpet got thrown out. So I guess it looks like I gotta buy a lot of cheap carpet

Ivo my dimensions in terms of width and height are greater since firing will occur from quite a distance. Yet I am concerned about the depth. Mine is only 1.25ft (I think yours is 1.5 and you even suggest 2ft).. What power xbow are you using in the pictures to fire into it? It seems they stopped in the first few inches? So long as I compact very very tight do you think I will be okay? thanks

e2a: photo

Last edited by frugaliser; 09-25-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Personally I've never built any of these targets..I shoot carbons at the shirt filled plastic bag stuffed into a cardboard box(I did mentioned the bent aluminums )

So the targets shown are not mine...they were made by other people...the arrows you see are not crossbow bolts, but actually regular arrows shot from a compound bow(around 300fps) from about 25 yards away. If you're doing 40-50 yards I think a foot thick target will be just fine for field points...especially if you are planing to go legit and compress it well. Then again you can always remove the back side of the target(using wooden triangles to hold the frame in the corners) and allow your bolts to penetrate a tad bit further. I've shot an old carpet target before, but that was a long time ago, so not much detail is left in the memory.
    All Genius - is Simple.
    - Paradox.

+ Reply to Thread