Advertise With Us
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scorpyd Crossbow Review

Default Scorpyd Crossbow Review

(Here's a review I did elsewhere on my new Scorpyd crossbow)

Finally got to shoot my Scorpyd today.
    Only adjusted the scope to 20 yards today due to the fatigue from the heat.
    The Hawke 3x scope performed pretty well; once I zeroed it in, I put the last 7 shots in the black.
    The trigger pull is superb (every bit as good as the Accu-Trigger on my Savage MLII with its custom barrel)
    There is just a slight bit of travel before a smooth break that feels about 2 1/2 to 3 lbs.
    Forgot to bring my trigger pull guage.
    My new Pact Chronograph failed to work properly so, I guess, I will have to send it back to the factory.
    I would have crushed it under my feet if it didn't have a lifetime warranty.
    Damn shame, I didn't get any speeds.
    I sighted the bow in from a sitting position with my left elbow resting on my leg.
    Pretty good testament to the trigger pull as it's not nearly as steady as from a bench.
    The last 7 shots were in the black so I was pretty satisfied.
    Here's a pic of the bow above the target.

Last edited by Sagittarius; 08-18-2009 at 11:41 PM.

Build quality and the Awesome Type III finish !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jmo, the build quality of the Scorpyd is better than most and second to none !
    The riser, barrel, and cams are finished very well.
    There are a few slight maching marks on the cams but nothing objectional.
    As good as the finish on my PSE which means pretty good.
    The stock feels as solid as a rock !
    No hollow sound when I rap my knuckles against it like a few other bows I have rapped on.
    The black finish on all metal parts is a Type III anodize.
    It does not get better than Type III.
    Type III is virtually indestructible !
    It can resist sea water and most any chemical without oxidizing, wears like iron, and is almost scuff and scratch proof under normal use.
    The finest salt water big game fly reels in the world all have an anodized Type III finish for a reason !
    I fish the superb Mako fly reels because of their Type III finish.
    The Scorpyd automatically has a big one up on any crossbow with a standard type II finish.
    The Scorpyd has less screws to work loose compared to other brands.
    The fasteners that are used on the Scorpyd are large and robust like they should be.
    I have studied crossbows for the past two years but never quite wanted to purchase one until I saw the Scorpyd on a forum one day.
    As soon as I studied its specs, found out how well it is built, and what a superb finish it has, I knew, I had to have one.
    Not saying it would be the one for you or anyone else but...
    It's the one for me !

Scorpion vs Scorpyd

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my old 1998 PSE Mach 8 Scorpion compound next to my Scorpyd crossbow to show the difference in size.
    Last edited by Sagittarius; 08-18-2009 at 11:35 PM.

Video

Here's a link to a couple of videos so you can hear the sound.
    The Scorpyd is not as quiet as a Mathews one cam but not too bad as crossbows go.
    Last edited by Sagittarius; 08-18-2009 at 11:36 PM.

Another video.

Default noise

With the camera so close it still seems very quite for a crossbow. Have you had a DB rreading? Hunter2

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter2 View Post
    With the camera so close it still seems very quite for a crossbow. Have you had a DB rreading? Hunter2
    No DB reading Hunter2.
    Hell, I wouldn't know how to do it anyway.
    Kind of ignorant about those things or dumb, I guess.
    I hope to take a couple more videos with the camera farther away and shoot my compound with it to compare sounds.
    The camera was right on the bow so it did sound a bit louder than normal.
    Hope to shoot it again this weekend.

Default comparison

I would like to see this bow beside the new Vision for comparison in width. I know it is narrow but looks wide for some reason. Hunter2

Thumbs up Scorpyd = "pound for pound, the fastest and quietest"

Hunter2,

It is definitely wider than the Vision but...
    Imo, the Scorpyd will pose little problems, due to its width, in most hunting situations.
    It's all to do about nothing worrying about the Scorpyd's width, jmo.
    It's so outstanding in shootability, structure, quietness, and finish, that, I'm more than willing to accept its extra width !
    Guys have been making due for years with the wide limbed Excalibur recurves while hunting, so, why worry about the Scorpyd ?

Default Very true

My Rev is about 26 inch wide, but am looking at the new compact designs. If I have the prices right the Scorpyd is awesome for its price point. I would like to see what the performance would be with a higher draw weight. Hunter2

+ Reply to Thread