Advertise Here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: hog hunting

Default hog hunting

Is there any hog hunters on here? I cannot afford to go on a trip now but some of these days I will. I worked for for over eighteen years and I lost my hearing in a loud plant. My hearing was already about gone but even with ear plugs it finished it. Hears my list of questions:
    1.I use a coclear implant and was wondering if hog hunting would be safe for me?
    2.Do you bait and with what?
    3.Can you salt the hog and do you have to scrape it first?
    4.I only wont a free rang hog and was wondering the best eating size?
    5. At what rang are most shots?
    I am trying to lose weight and get in better shape and I hope someday get to stick one. Anybody have any pictures?

Default Oklahoma

I regularly hunt and guide a few hunters here in southern OK. As far as the implant goes I am not sure about that. Most hogs here are taken from either ground blinds or my favorite is using ladder stands along heavily used trails. Either way they can be set up at ranges that the hunter feels comfortable with. Most of my personal kills have been from 15-25 yards and have not had any lost animals. As far as eating size goes I prefer them to be 275 lbs or less as they start getting rank once they start maturing and breeding. The skins can be tanned by stretching and salting although they will need to be scraped with a fleshing knife as the hides are really thick. You can direct any questions to me if you like. Also there is no license restrictions here either as they are considered a pest and not a big game animal like some states.

Default Hog hunt

I have three friends and myself that have been thinking about a hog hunt in OK. Could you send me some info on your guide service. Thanks Bill

I do not charge anything to guide people to good areas to hunt. I mainly guide people that are interested in a DIY hunt on a large wildlife management area here in far southern OK. You can research the area by looking up Loves Valley WMA. I would be happy to help ya'll out in any way I can.

Default Hog hunt

We have never hunted hogs before, so I was wandering if they allow tree stands and baiting on public grounds there. Would that be the best way to hunt them ? What would you use for bait? What would be the closest town to get a cheap hotel ? I will probably have more questions as I think about this. Thanks Bill

definitely sounds like a good time. Is there a time of year that is better than the rest for doing this? Also, I would be all about using my xbow, but my dad would possibly be interested in going. The catch is unless I can talk him into getting a xbow as well soon, he'd be using a rifle. Would that be an issue with you personally? If so, i'd tell dear ole' dad he's gotta stay home. Bill, maybe we could go down south together.. Dad's camper sleeps 9 & is completely self contained.

can only answer your cochlear implant question.....my daughter has one...and she's been shooting with me...no problems...I'd talk to your audiologist first, though.....

This time of year can be very productive as the hogs are coming out of the sloughs and into the winter wheat fields which can make them a little more patternable. As far as baits are concerned corn is probably the most cost effective although most deer type feeds work good too. Just place it near an active hog trail in range of your stand and wait on them. Tree stands and ground blinds are great although I prefer ground blinds whether the pop up kind or just natural vegetation. Firearms are permissable but most shots are less than 25 yards and sometimes more like 25 feet as long range shooting is near impossible. Just use a caliber that will punch through these tough animals and avoid a shoulder shot as that area is very tough to penetrate. There are motels within a short driving distance around the area. We have lots of deer so you need to learn the difference in hog vs. deer tracks. Hogs are more blunt and rounded.

Feral Hogs are in 80% of the states in the US. here in alabama they are pest, and can be hunted year round no limit same as in tennessee. some WMA's have a special season after deer season where you can come in with guns and take Feral Hogs, the rest of the time you use what is legal for the game that is open. like for example squirrel season, you can use a 22 mag. or shotgun but no slugs, yet in deer season you can use what is legal for that season be it archery, or gun. Hogs are so plentiful here the DNR is begging people to hunt them. they even have special permits to allow hunters to hunt at night. as for baiting i don't think on a WMA here it is legal. private land i guess you can, it seems the laws are a little more relaxed here about that.
    i hunt a National Wildlife Refugee and it has Hogs as well.... archery only.
    i have seen the tracks, but not the hogs yet. but i have been really hoping to see and stick on this year. the deer season here closes on the 31st of Jan. so i won't be able to hunt the refugee after that. so it will be back to WMA's
    for hunting hogs.
    best of luck.
    Mike

2010 Barnett Jackal
    Gold Tip Lazer II
    Muzzy 100 Gr.

"
    There's a place for ALL God's Creature's right next to the Potatoes & Gravy."

Default Hog hunt

OkieOutlaw, if my son and I could make it out there at the end of March would you be able to point us in the right direction for a DIY hog hunt at Loves Valley W.M.A. ? I don't mean to put you on the spot. Don't feel bad to say no !! I'm not sure if can afford it anyway !! Bill

+ Reply to Thread