Advertise Here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best crossbow for wtSHTF?

Default Best crossbow for wtSHTF?

Hello everybody,

i'm new! Not to shooting, but to crossbows.

I'm planning for when the SHTF, and i'm thinking a crossbow might be a good alternative my other firearms, as bolts can be picked up after shooting them, unlike bullets

Now i'm asking the more experienced, what's the most rugged, durable crossbow, with few maintenance needed? Mainly for hunting, but being able to use it as a SD weapon would be nice too.

Price isn't that important, as this shall be a one-time buy.
    I'd rather spend some more once, than buy cheap and twice.

Thank you for looking!

Any Excalibur model you like.

They are all recurves.
    No cables to replace/maintain. Just a string, which can be made by you if you know how.
    Lifetime TRANSFERABLE warranty. Which is a testimony to their durability.
    All limbs on all Excals are interchangeable. That's right....they are all the same regardless of draw weight.
    Lightweight. Recurves haven't the added weight of cams, cables, wide split limbs, or extra beefy risers.
    Nobody Can Make Me Starve,
    I Know How To Butcher

Roadkill!

Thanks for your answer, i've seen excaliburs before, just wasn't sure how they'd fit in with all the other manufacturers.

I shoot a Parker...but if you want ease of maintenance...Excalibur's the way to go

Parker makes compound bows, right?

Btw does Excalibur produce models which feature a picatinny rail at the bottom, for attaching a flashlight f.e. when looking for the deer you just shot in the woods? Couldn't find anything about that on the Excalibur homepage.

edit: i've looked at all manufacturers i've found so far, and come up with the following models:

excalibur: equinox
    kodabow: big rhino
    tenpoint: gt mag
    horton: legacy cs 225
    barnett: panzer v

they're all recurves, for easier maintenance. how would you rate them, considering durability and performance?
    Last edited by xamoel; 11-26-2010 at 11:44 AM.

I don't believe that Excal makes any "tactical" bows. And you'd better check state laws regarding a light mounted on your bow at all. In my state, that will get you arrested. It wouldn't be a big deal to fab up a means of mounting one if need be. Personally, I tend to look for ways of lightening up my equipment, not loading it with accesories that add up to more weight than I want to hold while aiming.

Yes, Parker makes compound crossbows. They make recurves as well. But IMO, they aren't what I'd want when SHTF. Too many reports of odd defects. Excal is tried and true.

And don't get me wrong. Parker makes a fine bow. And I don't even own an Excal myself (yet), so I'm not being brand biased, just honest.
    Last edited by Longhair; 11-26-2010 at 11:54 AM.
    Nobody Can Make Me Starve,
    I Know How To Butcher

Roadkill!

Quote Originally Posted by xamoel View Post
    Hello everybody,

i'm new! Not to shooting, but to crossbows.

I'm planning for when the SHTF, and i'm thinking a crossbow might be a good alternative my other firearms, as bolts can be picked up after shooting them, unlike bullets

Now i'm asking the more experienced, what's the most rugged, durable crossbow, with few maintenance needed? Mainly for hunting, but being able to use it as a SD weapon would be nice too.

Price isn't that important, as this shall be a one-time buy.
    I'd rather spend some more once, than buy cheap and twice.

Thank you for looking!

Xbow.s would not be a wise choice in a SHTF scenario. The extra weight it would add, would be better spent on ammo for a gun. I would think if you were in such a situation, you would not be hunting for game. You would be spending most of your time protecting what was yours. You could be out gunned by a simple shotgun, much less a rifle.

Go with the Excal and if the SHTF and you want to stay undetected while retrieving food to survive or snipeing someone trying to hunt YOU the enemy want here you. But I would advise you to keep some fire power with you so if you miss or there are multiples because I don't imagine they're going to be packing XBows !?!?!?

Thanks for your answers.

I've got firearms all covered, but during a prolonged catastrophic event, I may want to hold back on my bullets, and take someting reusable for providing food.
    That's why I've come across crossbows.

How about Kodabow? Any love for those?

edit: Is it possible to pick up the bolts after f.e. deer hunting? Or will they be broken?
    Last edited by xamoel; 11-27-2010 at 02:05 PM.

Better start stocking up arrows. seriously though, you might want to think
    recurve or long bow as you cant manufacture bolts for a crossbow
    in a survival scenario. Not the new high speed bows of today anyway.
    Hank

+ Reply to Thread