Advertise Here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Crossbow for Hunting

Default Best Crossbow for Hunting

I would like to hear some suggestions on your opinions of the best all around hunting crossbow. I am looking for a good, accurate relatively quiet package. I own an entry level Horton and it suffices but I am looking to upgrade. I will take accuracy over velocity but both would do!

The Barnett Predator is very fast and very accurate. It groups well even at 90 to 100 yards if it's not windy. I'd never attempt a deer at that range, but that is what the bow will do. I can't say that it is quite though. I think all crossbows are noisy compared to the vertical bows.

Max ! ! ! !

i don't think you will find a crossbow that is quiet. there is too much force on such short limbs, and if you try to make them quiet you will lose a little speed, they are fast enough that most game at reasonable hunting distances will not jump the string. as for what is best, truthfully is what is you can afford, and what makes you happy. they all are almost the same. look at the barnett crossbows, the entry level jackal is a 315 fps bow, that is very accurate, and the Predator is their top of the line bow, same accuracy, but its speed and energy is a little more due to the design and power of the limbs, power stroke....etc but cost a lot more. i have two Jackals for less than the Pred, and as far as what i feel and experience the Pred is 60 fps faster, mine is lighter, accuracy is the same, features favor the Predator, quietness favors the Predator But all in all at normal hunting ranges meaning less than 30 yards because of all the limbs in the woods, they are almost the same. so it really boils down to what do you want, and how much do you want to spend ?

2010 Custom, Excaliber Vortex fff. The most silent and accurate x-bow. 330 fps.

Recurve

Change/adiust ( brace height) string in the field.

Unload without having to fire a bolt.(use rope cocking device)

Quote Originally Posted by WTB View Post
    2010 Custom, Excaliber Vortex fff. The most silent x-bow.
    Not true. There are quieter faster bows.
    The Vortex IS very accurate.

And the question is subjective. Which means that there is no deffinative answer. Only opinion.
    Nobody Can Make Me Starve,
    I Know How To Butcher

Roadkill!

Default Nice package

Check out the Barnettt buck commander AVI. Fast, narrow, decent scope, fairly quiet, nice package. Did I mention it shoots a tight group? I was also impressed with the Scorpyd line of crossbows. But I could buy three of these Buck Commander packages for the same money.
    Last edited by TIMBERFRAME; 01-01-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Max

As one who owns a crossbow, you already know the following:
    1 All crossbows kill.
    2. All crossbows are accurate enough for hunting.
    3. All crossbows are noisier than we would like.

With that in mind, you may already have the crossbow that's right for you; maybe you just want a new tool, that's up to you, but whatever crossbow you choose, it will do the same basic thing your bow does now. Maybe you've had it long enough to discover it has a design defect you don't like, or doesn't fit you as well as you like so you simply want something else, that's your business.

Which crossbow is best for YOUR hunting? Whichever one fits you best, and you trust the most to do what it's supposed to do.

I would not buy a crossbow based on what fits someone else, go to a sporting goods store where they have A LOT of crossbows, pull them all up, look through the sights, notice how they fit. Is the scope mounted at the right height, or do you have to hold your cheek above the stock before you can see through it properly? Do you prefer open sights, scope, or dot? Is the thing heavier than you can hold long enough for a good shot. Is it too long, short, etc?

There is no way to answer these questions from someone else's recommendation, you have to see for yourself. Then take it home and become INTIMATE with it's features, quirks, etc.

I see a lot of posts in crossbow forums where people say they won't shoot a deer past 30 yards. That's OK, if that's where you are in your ability, but you and I both know that if a 12 point stood broadside at 40 yards, he's going to get shot at, you need to know what to do with an opportunity 10 yards beyond what you think you can do [not saying do it just because you can]. Making a statement about 30 yard limits tells me either they don't have confidence in themselves, or in their equipment; "hunter ethics" sounds high and holy, but really has nothing to do with it, it's confidence, preparation, and intimate knowledge of your chosen weapon that rules the day. Unfortunately some will not do what it takes to become knowledgeable, confident, or even competent. Know this: If you are a lousy shot with your present bow, you will still be a lousy shot with a $2500 [unnamed] bow; they do the same thing and ability doesn't increase with the price tag. This is exactly the same scenario where a mediocre golfer thinks he will improve his game if he buys new golf clubs, there are other, more important factors involved. Fact is, if you don't do what it takes, your frustration and dissatisfaction level will elevate with the price tag of your equipment.

The only way to gain confidence in your equipment is to PRACTICE, DRILL, and REHEARSE. Whenever possible you should shoot at least 5 arrows a day 3 or more times a week, that takes care of practice and drill; that will increase your confidence; gain confidence in your equipment and you gain confidence in yourself.

Practice with what you are going to hunt with. I've said this before: the blind is no place for experimentation, know what your weapon will do under any circumstance before you go hunting. If your broadheads strike a different place than your field points, write down how many clicks up/down left/right it takes to bring the broadhead to bullseye, and then take the shot to confirm it. I recently saw a post by someone who said they will not take the shot to confirm their adjustments because they were afraid of losing an arrow. I would rather lose a $15 arrow than a wounded deer.

I see posts all the time that go something like this: "Hi, I'm a noob, I'm thinking about buying a crossbow, what should I get?" Come to find out, the guy already ordered a crossbow, doesn't have it yet, and just wants to confirm in his mind if he made a good choice or not. I can't think of a better recipe for dissatisfaction with a purchase than to get 15 opinions, all who name different crossbows, and none of them mention the one Noob just purchased. Meanwhile Mr. Noob doesn't even have his crossbow yet and now is already dissatisfied with it.

Let me ask you a question: Will the deer you kill with your present bow be any deader if you kill them with another bow? Who cares what fits someone else and what they say is the greatest thing since sliced bread...be your own man, keep your own counsel, make your own choice.

Others might disagree with what I've told you; that's OK, I have nothing to prove, I'm not trying to sell you equipment, I'm not part of any manufacturer fan club, I'm not trying to reinforce in my own mind that the crossbow I just bought was a good decision, I just tell it like it is. Good luck in whatever YOU choose. Let us know so we can rejoice with you.

Jack ><>
    Last edited by Jack Pine; 01-28-2012 at 05:35 AM. Reason: brevity
    What was William Tellís foc, fps, KE, dtt, momentum, db noise level, arrow material, spine, grain weight, fletching, nock, and point style when he had to make his first shot count?

Middleton DTM 375 SS
    Man Kung 300fps Frankenbow
    Man Kung MK-150A3B forcefeeder
    Wham-O Powermaster [retired]
    Jack Pine Death Dart Arrows, Bionic Bowstrings, and Backwoods Bipod

HA HA HA you said quiet and crossbow in the same sentence.
    on a serious note most of the crossbows made today will do the trick.
    but for accuracy you wont go wrong with a recurve xbow there in my opinion the most accurate of the xbow family (less moving parts)

I agree that Barnett Predator is very accurate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk690 View Post
    Max ! ! ! !

i don't think you will find a crossbow that is quiet. there is too much force on such short limbs, and if you try to make them quiet you will lose a little speed, they are fast enough that most game at reasonable hunting distances will not jump the string. as for what is best, truthfully is what is you can afford, and what makes you happy. they all are almost the same. look at the barnett crossbows, the entry level jackal is a 315 fps bow, that is very accurate, and the Predator is their top of the line bow, same accuracy, but its speed and energy is a little more due to the design and power of the limbs, power stroke....etc but cost a lot more. i have two Jackals for less than the Pred, and as far as what i feel and experience the Pred is 60 fps faster, mine is lighter, accuracy is the same, features favor the Predator, quietness favors the Predator But all in all at normal hunting ranges meaning less than 30 yards because of all the limbs in the woods, they are almost the same. so it really boils down to what do you want, and how much do you want to spend ?
    The In-Line Crossbow is very quite, as quite as most compound bows. It weighs 5 lbs 6 oz, 18 1/2 inches a-a and shoots a 350 gr arrow 310 fps at 71 pounds.
    It can be easily drawn with your foot and can be easily disarmed without shooting an arrow. It is the best thing going. search YouTube for "In-Line Crossbow" or Google it. I did

+ Reply to Thread